U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground Public Affairs Weekly Report— 8 April 2022
1: STRATCOM Input
* None this week.
2. Media Relations/Engagements
* Yuma Sun photojournalist Randy Hoeft will cover Military Free Fall School training activities at YPG on 12 April. PAO personnel will escort him during his visit.
3. Congressional /PAO-related visits/tours
* None this week
4. Command’s Internal/External Summary
* The eighth episode of YPG’s official podcast, Outpost Outspoken, produced by PAO, is now available. The episode can be heard at this link: https://www.dvidshub.net/podcast/498/outpost-outspoken. Current and future episodes will be available on Apple Podcasts https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/1602431392; Amazon Music https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/54bcd078-fb85-43db-970b-fdc1aef9f131/outpost-outspoken; Stitcher Radio https://www.stitcher.com/show/outpost-outspoken; Google Podcasts https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZHZpZHNodWIubmV0L3Jzcy9wb2RjYXN0LzQ5OA; and Spotify https://open.spotify.com/show/24kdxzrfzoL453naYpoJqk.
* YPG’s Heritage Center is temporarily closed to the public pending finalization of its transition to an unmanned heritage display.
* On 6 April PAO facilitated a visit from Vietnam-era Army CPT James Mitschke to be reunited with an AH-1 Cobra attack helicopter he piloted for approximately 800 flight hours in theater from 1969-71. The helicopter now serves as a display at YPG. PAO covered the visit.
* On 7 April, a business writing course offered as part of the Employee Modernization Effort for Relevant Growth And Enrichment (EMERGE) took place on post. Approximately 15 YPG, YTC, and CRTC employees attended the course. This course is the first of many scheduled for staff as part of the EMERGE professional development modernization effort. PAO covered the class.
* PAO Mark Schauer gave a YPG overview presentation to about 60 members of the Country Roads Veterans Club at their monthly meeting on 7 April.
* PAO Mark Schauer gave a YPG update at the monthly meeting of the ‘Yuma 50’ military support group on 7 April.
* PAO Mark Schauer will visit Tropic Regions Test Center the week of 10 April. PA Specialist Ana Henderson will be acting PAO during this time.
* PAO Mark Schauer will give a YPG update at the monthly meeting of the Yuma County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors on 19 April.
* Eugene Garcia has been hired as Visual Information Manager vice Riley Williams, who retired in December. Garcia’s start date is 25 April.
* YPG Commander COL Patrick McFall will serve as guest speaker at the weekly meeting of the Fort Yuma Rotary Club on 12 May. PAO will cover the event.
* Yuma Test Center Commander LTC Alicia Johnson will relinquish command to LTC Shane Dering in a change of command ceremony on 26 May.
* The presumptive date for the beginning of concurrent police jurisdiction at YPG is on or about 1 July.
5. Social Media Post Statistics
* Four postings made to the YPG Facebook site – www.facebook.com/USAYPG
* Three postings made to the YPG Instagram site: https://www.instagram.com/yumaprovingground/
* Four postings made to the YPG Twitter feed– https://twitter.com/ypg_az
* Four postings made to the YPG LinkedIn site: https://www.linkedin.com/company/us-army-yuma-proving-ground
6. Published Articles/Videos of the Week:
* Material for the 11 April 2022 edition of The Outpost was submitted to the publisher on 5 April. Articles from The Outpost are routinely published individually on DVIDS and Army.mil. Local content in this issue will include:
– “YPG’s primary mission differs from most military installations,” by Mark Schauer
– “Trespassers on YPG’s ranges face serious hazards,” by Brandon Mejia
– “William Session: YPG Garrison Employee of the Year,” by Ana Henderson
– “Alcohol Awareness Month,” by Scott Zaehler
– “YPG Installation Safety Office earns 11th Safety Excellence Streamer,” by Ana Henderson
– “Army Test and Evaluation Command Employee of the Quarter,” by Ana Henderson
– “Wild burros require caution from YPG motorists,” by Mark Schauer
– “Teaming up to care for community,” by Brandon Mejia
– “Easter Egg Hunt fun,” by Ana Henderson
– “Splash pad opens for the season,” by Brandon Mejia
– “Hope,” by Chaplain (MAJ) Jeffrey Crispin
– “YPG employee leads local team to Robotics World Championship,” by Nickolas McColl